Wednesday 8 April 2009

Criminal Tendencies


I’ve received my author copy of an interesting new anthology, Criminal Tendencies. It’s published by Crème de la Crime, and £1 from each copy is to be donated to the National Hereditary Breast Cancer Helpline.

Mark Billingham contributes an introduction, and Lynne Patrick, the presiding genius at C de la C, has assembled a varied range of contributors – including Caroline Schiach, who won an international competition that gave her the chance to see her story in print alongside those of such notable figures in the genre as Reginald Hill, Peter Lovesey, Peter James, Sophie Hannah, Andrew Taylor, Val McDermid and Simon Brett. Chris Nickson, winner of a regional competition, also has a story in the book.

My contribution is a story called ‘Mindstalker’, which first appeared six years ago in an anthology edited by Maxim Jakubowski and M. Christian, The Mammoth Book of Future Cops. As the title of the anthology suggests, the story is very different from the rest of my work. Writing it was an interesting experiment, and I’m glad to see the story have a second outing, especially for such a good cause.

I’m looking forward to reading this book – I’ve read a handful of the stories before (in fact, two appeared in anthos I have edited) but I’ll be coming to most of them afresh. And here’s hoping that the Helpline funds are nicely boosted by the book’s sales.

4 comments:

Dorte H said...

I wonder whether this anthology could be useful for teaching the genre of crime stories. (In that case I might persuade our school to buy some)

Dorte H said...

NB: I have given your blog an award. But don´t feel you have to blog about it if it is not your thing.

crimeficreader said...

Thanks for drawing my attention, Martin. I shall certainly buy a copy of this as I lost a good and dear friend to this disease some years ago. Her mother had also suffered when middle-aged and survived, but my friend died a few months off her 39th birthday, leaving a son of five and daughter of three. Thus, I'm sure you can understand that I'd like to support the charity as well as having something of interest in my hands.

And if I could draw your attention to something else: my book blogging survey is now up and running, top post on the homepage for the link. I hope you'll participate and thank you in advance, if you do. I am having some excellent responses so far and it will make for interesting reading.

Martin Edwards said...

Dorte - interesting idea, which I will pass on to the publishers. And thanks for the award!
Crimefic - thanks, I will be glad to participate in your survey.